I was nominated for this thing by MariaRantsaboutstuff. Apparently, it’s an award that involves filling out a bunch of questions and then nominating five other people for. Sounds and looks suspiciously like the blog form of a chain letter, allow me to be completely not serious about this.
You might be wondering, why are you even doing it if you think it’s just a chain letter type of thing? There are two reasons. The first is that I never really answer questions or talk about myself and it seemed like a good way to let you all see me in snarky bastard mode. Usually you guys just see me analyse things or try my hardest to tell a compelling story. The second is that it seemed amusing enough. So, let’s get to those questions and pretend to be serious.
1) What inspired you to create a blog?
Well, one night a ghostly apparition appeared in my room and ate all my biscuits. I later found out that it was my dog and I started the blog as a way to pass the time while guarding my stash of sweets.
Honestly, I used to maintain a blog on Gamespot. It was a way to do some creative work, which is something I enjoy greatly but the primary reason I went there specifically was to post in the Unions that they had at the time. When they announced that they were getting rid of those I brought the blog here.
2) What was your first anime?
When I was a small child my mother exposed me to one of the darkest, most twisted anime ever made, Superbook. I don’t even remember whether it was the Deutsch dub or the English one, nor do I remember much about it except for two kids traveling through Bible stories with a robot, but I do remember it being an unholy abomination of annoyance. True story.
3) If you could cosplay any anime character (assume crafting skill and money are not an issue), who would you choose?
Nausicaa’s little rodent friend. Then I too would be able to be adorable while riding on peoples’ shoulders.
Now for the honest answer, I would have to find someone that I have the build and look to pull off competently like Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop.
4) Aside from reviewing anime, what are some of your hobbies?
Every night I get my assistant and we try to take over the world. Sometimes I spy on the neighbours with my binoculars because I’m sure they’re up to something. I mean, those perverts have telescopes by their window.
No, I do have quite a few hobbies. There’s my non-professional writing. I also like to read, play video games. There’s weekly D&D and there’s the time I spend on the AFT forum.
5) If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Antarctica, where the only people anywhere nearby are scientists and I can be as reclusive as I damn well please.
Okay, that’s not the real answer. I’d really like to go to Japan, I know big shock coming from someone who reviews anime for fun.
6) Which was the saddest anime you’ve ever watched?
That would have to be Superbook. Who thought it was a good idea? Who watched it to the extent that it got a second series? It’s very existence is mind boggling and says nothing good about the world we live in.
Wait, did you mean intentionally and skillfully sad? In that case, I’d have trouble choosing from among Grave of the Fireflies, Blue Drop, Chrno Crusade or Wolf’s Rain. Those anime are all really tragic.
7) The funniest anime?
Well, clearly I don’t know how to laugh or have fun since I’m so busy doing analyses.
This is another tough one, actually. I’ve seen some really funny anime like Galaxy Angel, The Slayers, All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, K-on, Muteki Kanban Musume, Steel Angel Kurumi 2, and many others. I don’t think I could choose the funniest overall if I wanted to.
8) If you could star in any anime, which would you choose?
Isn’t it obvious? I have the perfect voice to take the lead in Mermaid Melody. I’m sure that being a guy and not being able to sing in the least won’t be a problem whatsoever.
No, I would not star in an anime. The Deutsch dubs are almost as bad as the English ones and I certainly am not an actor. I would only contribute to the problem. Now, if an anime studio wanted to pick up one of my stories and have me work as the head writer to turn it into an anime then I would not be opposed to that. I still wouldn’t be the star, though.
9) If you could take any anime character out on a date, who would you pick?
Lina Inverse. Hello, Paper Cuts.
Yeah, it’s obvious why this wouldn’t work. Anime characters are pixels on a screen or drawings. While you could take a drawing on a date it’s something that people are going to give you dirty looks over and it doesn’t really accomplish anything. Besides, I’ve got my Fluffy for dates. That is a nickname, obviously.
10) If you could have any career in the world, what would you want to do?
Supreme Emperor. The reign of terror of the old world leaders would be over in favour of my reign of terror.
No, no, too much paperwork. I do like the job I’ve got now. I love article writing. But I might elect to switch to the head writer for a television production of one of my stories. Maybe with the BBC or with an anime studio. The BBC would probably work better, though, since I am quite fluent in English.
11) What is a goal you wish to accomplish this year?
To get a sixth bookcase for my apartment.
No, that might be something I need to do at some point but it’s not really a goal. Honestly, I’d like to finish a story I’ve been working on and get it published for e-book or for print.
Well, I got through those. Let’s go with some random facts.
1. I have a pretty extensive plushie collection. Way back in my Doki Doki Precure review, I wasn’t kidding when I said I wanted plushies of the min characters. I got ones of Mana, Rikka, Alice and Makoto. I wanted one of Regina, but I couldn’t find one. I’ve also got Levi, Holo the wise wolf, Lina Inverse, Roy Mustang, The Elric Brothers, Black Rock Shooter, Deadmaster, Nanoha, Fate, the Sailor Soldiers (except for the Starlights and ChibiUsa), Nausicaa’s rodent friend and many, many others mostly from anime and video games but also some from Western TV shows and assorted others.
2. I own all of Milk Moriyama’s manga that’s been released in any language I speak. I really admire the way she writes romance.
3. I don’t get along well with most of my family. My dad scarpered when I was really little, my mother treats me like crap because I don’t buy into her religion and my older brother is a prick. The only ones I can really stand being around are my little sisters.
4. There actually is a reason that I write so many LGTBQ characters that goes beyond “I can.” Many of my closest friends growing up, and even today as well as my youngest sister are a part of that group. Most of the really good relationships I’ve seen have been queer relationships. And I know that they don’t have a lot of media that’s about them.
5. My role model growing up was Captain Picard. I loved Star Trek: Next Gen, still do, and he was just the perfect leader. He was rational, had enough wisdom to know when to compromise, strong in his convictions and just had so many words of wisdom.
6. I have a fondness for silver age writing in Western super hero comics. Sure, the Bronze age was when the best writing happened, but I do enjoy reading those goofy over the top stories and I still watch some old shows that have that aesthetic on occasion. Like the version of Batman starring Adam West or Spider-man and his Amazing Friends.
7. When I really need to relax I open my Open Office Writer, play some Hayashibara Megumi songs, let my Labrador sit in my lap and type whatever I feel like. The stuff I write usually ends up being a mess that I would never share with anyone and promptly delete, but it is a good outlet and it does relax me.
8. I am really critical of adaptations when I know and love the work they’re adapting.
9. When I don’t have any requested reviews, or the ones I have are just too long to finish in a week, I’ll choose what to look at pretty arbitrarily. I’ll just check for something I haven’t seen that’s the right length and that doesn’t look like it would be painful to watch. Although I do sometimes end up with things that are painful to watch anyway.
10. There are a lot of writers I really admire, Gail Simone, Alan Moore, Chris Claremont, Miyabe Miyuki, Terry Pratchett and several others. I sometimes look at their work and have to make an effort to not compare myself to them. Lest I destroy my self esteem.
11. People often think that I’m a super serious type of person. Probably because I’m heavily introverted and don’t spend much time around people I don’t know which leads casual acquaintances to get the impression that I’m really uptight. I do take my writing seriously, for the most part, but I rarely take other things seriously.
Well, thanks again to Maria for adding me to the chain letter. It was fun goofing about with it. If I nominate you and you want to do it then send me an email at: email@example.com. I’ll give you your personalised questions. I will warn you, the first two will always be asking your name and quest. Now, if you do ever have questions for me just leave a comment or send an e-mail asking them. I don’t mind answering unless it’s something really personal. Maybe I’ll even do another entry that’s just answering questions if I get enough. Just don’t be surprised if you get a somewhat snarky answer followed by the honest one.